DAD Birthday Party 6 years ago

DAD Birthday Party 6 years ago
St. Clair, Solsky, Jesse, and P.Star

Friday, January 14, 2011

Cheer leading & Leandra’s Law

I got up around 6:30am, I worked out a bit and then got ready for my first meeting of the day. My first meeting took place at Sesame Workshop where I went to see my dear friend and the "Electric Company," Executive Producer, Karen Fowler. We discussed ratings and upcoming shows for "TEC." We also talked about Priscilla’s future in general. I told Karen how wonderfully “P” was doing in school and how she recently became a cheer leader.

Priscilla had her first game recently and it went well. She was very excited to see me there. Priscilla certainly did not expect me to show up at the game, so I know it was quite a surprise for her. When I saw the smile on her face and how happy she was to see me, it was one of those moments that every dad treasures for a lifetime! During the halftime show, Priscilla performed with the rest of girls and they were absolutely amazing! Now, I am not saying this because she is my daughter or because I am a proud dad, but because they are genuinely good!! When it was over she ran to me and gave me a big hug. She then introduce me to her friends and teammates. They were somewhat amazed at how young I looked! They told my daughter:” Your father is hot!” I laughed at the comment and then went home.

On a more somber and serious note.... I had a meeting today which was very interesting and somewhat overdue. It's been some time now since a little girl named Leandra Rosado was killed in a car accident that was caused by a drunk driver. At the time this tragic accident occurred, it was on the news immediately and just about everyone in NYC was devastated. It is more than fair to say that everyone could relate -especially those with children. When this father lost his daughter he decided to do something about it. He did not want his daughter to die in vain. Lenny Rosado called his friend Miguel Acevedo and asked him for help. Miguel is a community advocate and he also runs a program called “Fulton Youth of The Future.” Miguel is a kind a guy who would take the shirt off his back for just about anyone! He’s is a down-to-earth Politician, a well educated person, and an advocate of child-welfare.

Lenny, because of the loss of his daughter, is having more than his share of difficulties, but having Miguel there has made it easier to deal with this tragedy. Recognizing what was right; Miguel knew that the passing and enforcement of the law was super important, but he also knew that support this family at their time of need was equally important. Lenny simply states; “if you're going to drink, don’t drive!” “If you're going to drink, don’t get behind the wheel!” “The consequences are simply too terrible!” Man, I could not hold back the tears when he kept spoke of his little girl. I thought of how this could happen to anyone and how scary that reality was.

Elis Pacheco, Ed Christy, Miguel and myself talked about working On a PSA where P-STAR and Leandra’s Father, Lenny, would both talk about The "LEANDRA" Law. They wold discuss the events that led to the law and what the law is all about. What is the "Leandra" law? Well, it was an idea born from tragedy and it is now a New York State Law. This law makes it a Crime to endanger the life of a child while driving under the influence of alcohol. It is a felony which carries up to 4 years in prison automatically; but it also brings 15 years for causing an injury and for also driving drunk with a child 15-years or younger inside the car. Additionally, 25 yrs for causing an accident which results in the death of a child.

Tragically, the woman that killed Leandra Rosado got off with a very lenient sentence. She received only 4 years in prison! This woman, in all likelihood, will serve a fraction of that 4-year sentence and be out a lot sooner to live her life -along with her family! While the Rosado family has to continue a lifetime without their loving child! 4 years for the life of an innocent child... Where is the justice?

Well, I can’t talk about this no more... All and All there next goal is take this National and I will be there for them.

For those interested in learning more about the “Leandra Rosado” Law, please go to this website for more information: http://www.dnainfo.com/20091218/manhattan/drunk-driving-law-named-after-leandra-rosado-goes-into-effect

Until next time friends.

Love,

Jesse Jess Diaz

No comments: